August 13, 2008

Matthew 28:15

Recently I posted that Matthew 28:15 is my favorite bible verse. I was asked by Rachel from SmallNotebook why this is my favorite - I hope this answers it.

Matthew 28:15
So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day.


It's kind of odd verse to be a favorite. A lot of people like the Psalms or Proverbs, I've noticed. I love those too. But Matthew 28:15 spoke to me.

Let me give you a little information about what's going on in the bible around this verse. The soldiers that were guarding Jesus' tomb went into the city to tell the priests and elders that His body was gone! The guards were told to spread lies saying they fell asleep and someone must have stolen His body. The guards were paid and the lies were spread.

Have you ever told a lie?.. of course you have! You may have lied about something small, that you thought wouldn't effect other people much. My guess is these soldiers felt the same way. No big deal, lets cover up our tracks. They took the money they were given and didn't think twice. Turns out, this lie - letting the Jews think Jesus' body was stolen - is the biggest lie of all time.

How could the future have been different if that lie was not told to the Jews?

* Would there still be Jews?

* How many gentiles would have become followers of Christ?

* How would WWII be different?

* Would the church have grown bigger and faster? Maybe the apostles would have died differently.

* Would the Muslim faith become what it has today?

Think, for a moment, how else this lie has changed history.

I don't want you thinking this is my favorite verse because of the lie. The lie shows the power that words and actions have. Our words and actions can change the future! The lies the soldiers told changed many people's futures. What we are doing and saying today has a direct impact on our future and possibly many generations too. Makes you think, eh?

The lyrics of Matthew West's song History express how the choices in what we say and do have an impact on the future. I love all of Matthew's music - this song has a special place in my heart.

Here is just a few lines from that song:

Would you believe that you are history in the making, in the making?
Every choice that you are making
Every step that you are taking
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
Every word that you are saying
Every prayer that you are praying
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
History is in the making
History is in the making

What kind of history do you want to make today? Are you making history like the soldiers in Matthew 28:15 or do you have something better in mind?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Dana!

Esther said...

This was a great post, very insightful. Thanks for visiting my blog! I am indeed from NE WI, I'm in Marion, right outside of Clintonville. Glad to meet ya, and I'll visit your blog again!